mommy's style

mommy's style
mommy's style

kumquat's style

kumquat's style
kumquat's style

shop our closet

shop our closet
shop our closet

searching for [peace]









[pieces]
oversize black cardigan :: H&M (similar) | pink tank :: forever 21 | cobalt blue pencil skirt :: maurice's (similar) | 
black bow belt :: maurice's | chunky black sandals :: madden girl (similar) | black messenger bag :: ebay (similar, or try this hot pink version) | gold cuff bracelet :: charlotte russe (similar) | gold collar necklace :: forever 21 (similar) | black studded wrist wrap :: threadsence (actually a belt) | gold & pearl ring set :: forever 21

[inspiration]
Yesterday, my obsession with confliction led me to mix a gorgeous cobalt blue pencil skirt (very sleek and form fitting) with my giant oversize artist sweater (at least three or four times too big for me). This was originally meant to be an experiment in color blocking, but it didn't come out as crisp as I like my lines when color blocking - the pink top is just a bit too breezy. I do like this coraly-pink tank with the blue pencil skirt, but I'm dying to pair it with this green blouse I just ordered from Lulu's - should arrive next week. I'm thinking hot pink shoes and accessories are in order as well.

[style]
The secret to wearing opposing items or styles together is to own it. Pull it on and don't look back; you have to accept it, embrace it, love it, flaunt it, enjoy it, regardless of what others might think initially. Second-guessing yourself only leads to doubt and worry, neither of which is very attractive. We sometimes have a tendency to be self-deprecating towards our riskier sartorial choices once we've walked out the door, but this is only self-defeating (like a self-fulfilling prophecy). If you're questioning your choices, everyone else will, too; but if you present your look to be the hottest new thing (or whatever), others will likely follow along. There is a reason people say that confidence is your most important accessory - if you don't have it, fake it till you make it.

[story]
I had planned to take my outfit photos in my backyard yesterday when I arrived home from work, but was foiled by the sprinklers that were drenching my bathroom garden. I packed up my tripod, hopped in my truck, and started driving. I turned the ignition with the intention of heading to the park, but somehow ended up at the cemetery instead. I'm not really sure why I thought it was a good idea; the sky was gray and the air chilly, a storm clearly brewing, and I have found myself in desperate need of peace recently. I had thought maybe I would find it here, though I regret to inform you that the graveyard holds no peace for the living. I have, however, developed a new fascination with headstones.

[upcoming]
I received my Broke City tank from tuc + wes today; planning to wear it to work tomorrow for our Saturday morning training session. The only saving grace of having to work six days in a row? Getting to wear my new Broke city tank from tuc + wes that I received in the mail today. Maybe my boss will get the hint...

follow me on instagram :: @fashion_nerd13
[side note]
I've updated my Instagram and Pinterest usernames to match my Twitter handle - my handle on both Twitter and Instagram is now @fashion_nerd13; Pinterest is @fashionnerd13. Follow me on any (or all) of my various social platforms and like Frayed Threads on Facebook for daily outfit photos, tips, tricks, quotes, news, inspiration and various random details about my life. I'm really quite entertaining, I assure you.

[p.s.]
My sister and I will soon be opening an accessory and vintage shop on Etsy! We're currently working on our first pieces and hope to have the storefront opened up by Monday morning. We'll be having a giveaway to celebrate, so stay tuned for updates! In the meantime, any suggestions on a name would be greatly appreciated.....

No comments

Back to Top